UFO Saturday

I am part of a lovely group of ladies who make up the Chestfield Quilters – we meet every other week for an evening of patchwork. Some evenings we have a set project to start (if we can all decide on a pattern/idea), some evenings we organise for fabric traders to come by, but mostly we sit, sew and chat. Every once in a while we have UFO days – UnFinished Object days! These are really lovely days, usually Saturday’s, where we hire a hall for the whole day and only stop sewing for coffee or lunch! Last weekend was our most recent UFO day. As I have a shocking number of unfinished objects, I was determined to be productive! Here’s what I got up to:

1) I finished making a sewing apron. It was mainly sewn together but needed top stitching. I did this project first so that I could wear it for the rest of the day! I haven’t taken photographs of it yet, I promise I will do soon. The apron is reversible, mine is linen on one side and a pretty purple and cream floral fabric on the other. I am yet to sew my pockets on, and I’d like to do some embroidery on it too as a way of personalising it – hence why I chose plain linen. 

2) I made a cushion. It is very simple – made up of squares that were using up left over jelly roll strips from a previous quilt. The squares had been pieced for a long time so I put the piece on some wadding, hand quilted with some cross stitches, appliquéd on a heart, and then attached two back pieces. I prefer to make my cushions this way as I like that they don’t require any Velcro/buttons/zip. I cut out two pieces of backing fabric that were the same size as the front piece. I folded over about 1 and a half inches of each piece and top stitched each one down. I then placed them face down onto the front piece and stitched all around the edge. The whole thing then turns in the right way and the cushion fits inside, closing up like a pillow cover. To finish it off, I top stitched all around the edge, which I think gives it a more polished finish. I’m really pleased with it, and I love that it also matches the quilt that is made from the rest of the jelly roll! 

  
And finally,

3) I made a bag. Once again, the front was pieced but the bag needed assembling. This took some fiddling, and the zip did test my patience. But one snapped needle later, and with some help from my mum, it did come together and now I love it. I’m not sure what it’s going to contain yet – possibly the ever growing collection of alpaca granny squares!

  
  
    
 
My next plans are to block my little granny squares which are a little curly, make up some baby quilt tops, and then hopefully get a few of my crochet WIPs finished! After my busy day of sewing I am looking forward to getting the hooks out this week so I hope to update you with some crochet projects shortly!

Emily x

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s